Being on social media is a huge part of writing a blog, I didn’t realise quite how much when I first started just over a year and a half ago. As well as it being a great opportunity to promote my blogs posts, I absolutely love chatting to other people and finding amazing bloggers to follow.
Blogging was never meant to be full time, only a hobby. I love being on social media, but at one point I felt the need to be online every minute, of every single day. I felt so overwhelmed with trying to keep up that I almost stopped blogging altogether. I’d forgotten how to be me and stopped spending time on other hobbies I enjoy, so I learnt to balance my time better and now keep a list in my diary in case things get too much and I need reminding to step away from technology for a while.
I thought I’d share some of my non-blogging hobbies with you.
- Pamper evening – who doesn’t love a few hours of pure indulgence? Playing with makeup or painting my nails or a face mask, anything that’s a hour or two by myself.
- Reading – I love crime, romance, history, fantasy, or comedy books, I also enjoy reading a good biography.
- Scrapbooking – I keep everything from postcards to cinema tickets and photos to event invites. It’s the perfect way to look back on all those happy memories.
- Art Journal/Diary – I’m not great at drawing, I love to doodle, cut photos or words out of magazines to make collages and generally get creative. I write down how I’m feeling, good or bad, and what’s been happening in my life.
- Baking – I’m rubbish at cooking a meal from scratch but I’m pretty good at baking muffins, cookies or a sponge cake.
- Exploring – new places or old, I love to get outdoors, a walk in the woods, country gardens, a day by the sea or a historical town with amazing architecture.
- Visiting museums – the two I absolutely love are Victoria and Albert Museum and The Natural History Museum, there are some great smaller museums in my local area. Not sure if this counts but I’d love to visit Harry Potter World, maybe one day!
- Tarrot cards/Rune Stones – I am definitely not an expert, I have a couple of sets at home and my friends love doing them with me just for fun.
- Visiting Art galleries – there are some wonderful pieces of art around, I also love learning about the artist who painted each piece of work.
- Watching Films – either at home for a movie night or an evening out at the cinema, preferably with popcorn and a takeaway.
- Spending time with friends and family – coffee dates, afternoon tea, meals out, a day trip somewhere exciting, a games night or simply just chilling at each others houses.
- Netflix – I’ve discovered some great TV series since having Netflix, I enjoy dramas, crime shows, comedy dramas, documentaries and psychological dramas, if I love something that much I’ll watch it more than once.
- Photography – I love taking photos for my blog or Instagram, usually beauty products or something pretty around my home. I enjoy taking photos to go in my scrapbook, people, places I’ve visited, something special I’ve created or a funny moment captured in time.
- Vintage fashion – I’m fascinated by clothes ranging from the 1920s upto the 1970s. I often visit museums and make a beeline for the costume section, I enjoy shopping in vintage shops and flicking through books I have with beautiful photos of outfits people wore in decades gone by. My fashion icons are Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly and Marilyn Monroe. I’d love to create my own fashion brand but I can’t see that ever happening.
- Writing to penpals – I’ve made new penpals on line but I also love writing letters to friends or family who live far away. A girl can never have to much stationery, right?
- Collecting things – anything Disney or unicorn related, cute or commemorative mugs and thimbles from places I’ve visited.
- Going to the theatre – Before I started suffering from seizures I’d love to see my favourite band or artist at a music concert, but too many flashing lights have made it almost impossible now. Instead I’ll stick to seeing a show or ballet, something I’ve done ever since my Grandmother first took me when I was very little.
I’m not quite sure what this vast selection of hobbies says about me but that’s everything I love doing when I when I’m not on the internet.
What do you enjoy doing in your spare time and away from the internet?